Slang is weird...

I am one of those people who is typically, if not always, late to new trends. They're constantly changing and I just can't keep up. All these new terms that I'm being introduced to make no sense. Fleek? Bae? I don't know.

I'm constantly amidst a swirl of confusion because I don't really understand how to use these words or who even thought of these random expressions. Half of the slang from last year I learnt just recently. Needless to say I am not great at incorporating slang into my everyday life. It just comes off as awkward. When I hear people use new slang I am just puzzled.

Friend: And then they said, "eyebrows on fleek!"
Me: *confused* what does 'on fleek' mean?
Friend: it means on point or perfect.
Me: *still doesn't understand* use it in a sentence.
Friend: eyebrows on fleek.
Me: *nods awkwardly*

And anyway, what is this obsession people have with eyebrows. I don't know what society has come to if great eyebrows are the epitome of a great physique. 

Another term I have heard being loosely thrown around the internet lately is 'hitting the quan". Who is this 'quan' fellow and why are we hitting him? Is it a dance or a song or both? Someone please explain.

Mommy and daddy are other terms I have stumbled across recently and this possibly I'm the most confused by. Why are people calling people who aren't mom or dad, mom or dad? The last time I checked I only had two parents. I'm not trying to get at people, I just don't understand. Mom? Dad? Help.

Is it just me? Or can anyone else relate? Let me know! Hope you enjoyed and see you next week.

Perfectly Unkept

Comments