The Day After // Election 2016

By now, I'm sure you're sick of hearing about the election. I've been conflicted as to weather or not I should speak out but I'm wanting to help in a time of despair, maybe share a little comfort or hope. This presidency will not only affect America, but the world. The election has fried my brain, left me speechless and a little despondent. Even though I'm not American and my opinion probably isn't needed I don't want to act like this hasn't happened.

CNN filled my TV screen for the entirety of yesterday and as the day progressed I became discouraged. I was shocked by the results, as I'm sure many others were too. Never did I think Donald Trump would be elected president of the United States of America, one of the most powerful countries in the world.
I belive Trump is unfit for presidency because of his oppressive, bigoted and childish nature. Obviously, a lot of people voted for him and I'm sure they had their reasons, but I cannot fathom how someone in their right mind could think that he is an appropriate suitor for presidency.

Not matter what I say, I am probably not going to change your feelings towards this result but alas, there is not much we can do but hold on to glimpses of hope. Many of you may feel scared or hopeless, maybe you are mourning and that is okay, you can feel how you feel. Although right now America is more divided than ever, remembering and accepting that we are one people is integral to moving forward. There was always going to be a divide, pain, it was inevitably close but we need to process this by ourselves, in our own time. Lashing out at the perceived opponent will only create further partition. What I'm saying is please try to move forward with respect and grace, no matter what side you are on. The truth is we will never agree but if we don't learn to accept that and move forward, America will be broken.

What we need to do now is grasp onto hope. If you are struggling to find promise right now, I hope you can find solace in mine;
There is nothing he can do to take what is yours away from you; your house, your belongings, your partner or your pets. What is yours is yours, hold on to that and think of how much you treasure it.
The other thing is that Trump can't change are your morals and beliefs. He can't do anything about you fighting for what you think is right, what you believe in. No matter what happens, you are still you and that you is great.
Trump is not solely running America. His decisions have to be passed through other government officials before they become reality. Although most of the house of representatives are republican, I'm hopeful that not all their ideologies are the same as his.
My final glimpse of hope is seeing how so very gracious Hillary was in defeat. Her concession speech was spoken with such gratitude and sincerity and that gives me hope. This was very painful for her but she still came out and delivered an amazing speech to give us hope.
I do hope that Donald will prove us wrong, I'm open-minded to seeing Donald in a way that we were maybe unable to see before now, but at this stage I am uncertain for the future. Before I go, I want to leave you with a couple of questions; If you voted for Trump why did you vote for him? If you are scared, what are your nuggets of hope? 

Don't give up hope. This has only just begun. Who knows maybe one day we will reach unity, that is what we need to survive.
-Miller

Comments