Christmas Eve Eve

Today is Christmas Eve Eve, the eve of Christmas Eve. We are officially two sleeps away from the big day and it's come around pretty quickly. Most of my past couple of days have been spent wrapping Christmas presents, fretting and eating candy canes. Not the most exciting way to be spending the lead up to Christmas but pretty standard really. We all have certain Christmas traditions, things that are almost comforting in a time that can be stressful (you know, the lead-up, frantically purchasing presents, thinking of all the people you'll be seeing that you haven't seen since last year).

I do want to quickly apologise to the people who don't celebrate Christmas. I want to wish everyone who celebrates other holidays, Happy Holidays! Whatever it is you celebrate I hope you have a wonderful time full of fun and laughter and all that good stuff.

Christmas can be stressful. Life just tends to take over. Whether it be work, school or home life, things seem to pile up and finishing in time can be hard. Christmas also means presents and I generally don't know what to but for people. Then I procrastinate to buy said presents and it just stresses me out.

I don't want to sound like a grinch but I haven't really been feeling overly Christmassy this year. In part, I think it's because I simply don't have the energy and also because my head is so full of thoughts I don't have room for anything else. This year has been really tough regarding my health and mental health actually and I think it's messed with my Christmassy feelings. I have put up a tree though and ornated it with tinsel and even candy canes. Put a few other pieces of tinsel up too because you know, why not.

Thinking back to my childhood, Christmas was a time filled with magic and wonder. From the lore surrounding Christmas to the joy of receiving presents or all the lights that danced around the street at night, magic filled the air. Even my sleep was disrupted by excitement. I was always awake at the crack of dawn, pestering my parents to get up and be as excited as I was about opening presents.

Christmas reminds me how privileged I am to have always lived in a warm and loving home and actually be able to celebrate Christmas with my family. I'd always receive at least something that I wanted but sadly that is not the reality for everyone.

In my past, 'the big day' has been filled with family. The day is spent at a family member's house, eating too much and having some good ol' banter. I awkwardly meet up with the people I only ever see on Christmas day. This year, I think that will be particularly interesting, to say the least. Most people won't have seen me since my accident so there will be lots of questions and gushing I suspect. But, I do think it will be nice to catch up and be amongst the familiarity of Christmas.

That's about it for today then. I will try to post a New Year's playlist around the 26th or 27th. Just a little collection for your night of partying and an aid for your inevitable hangover the following day. I hope you enjoyed. Tell me about your festivities in the comments! What do you celebrate? What does your 'big day' include? Merry Christmas and have a great New Year. Stay safe!

- Miller

Comments