Miller the Poetry Slug

I have a confession to make...

I really like poetry.

This probably isn't much of a big deal, or surprise, to some of you but I don't really know anyone who likes poetry as much as me. Even the number of poets on the internet is rather sparse.

Anyway, you may be wondering why I am mentioning this. Well, I've been thinking and writing and I want to start releasing some poetry, my poetry, onto the blog.

Poetry for me is a means of self-expression, as song-writing or acting is for others. I am a bit nervous to be posting my poems because it's almost like taking a piece of armour off myself, exposing myself in a way I haven't before online. People who do creative things are generally up for more criticism than others and that's something I've always found hard to take. But, I am stepping into a new phase of my life. I love poetry, I write poetry, I want to release it on my blog, therefore I shall.

My affinity with poetry and writing dates all the way back to when I was a child but it wasn't really until a couple of years ago that this interest of mine really started to flourish. Spoken word poetry started popping up in my recommended on YouTube. The first poem I watched was by Harry Baker and was a metaphor about love using prime numbers. I instantly fell in love and sought out more. I eventually found Savannah Brown (who has a YouTube channel and frequently writes amazing, profound and sometimes existential poetry) she always makes me think. I'm still searching for new poets. So tell me your faves in the comments! These days I just read books here and there with a wide plethora of different poems and poets.

I mainly wrote this to preface what I'll be posting tomorrow which will be a poem. Specifically about depression. I wrote it quite a while ago but I feel like I've reached a point where I am more comfortable expressing my poetic side and slightly more vulnerable and real side online. This poem is special because it was my first 'proper' poem that was deep and stemmed from personal experience.

Sorry if this seems a bit rambly. This post may not seem necessary but I just want to explain myself before doing something out of the blue that's quite different from my usual content. I probably won't post it all the time, just when I'm feeling particularly inspired. Tomorrow I'll be posting a poem about depression. Are you interested in poetry? Have you written any poems? Let me know, I would love to expose some new talent.

- Miller

Comments