Why you should be reading 'Am I Normal Yet?'


If you haven't come across Holly Bourne's 'Am I Normal Yet?' then you're seriously missing out. I finished this book a few weeks ago and I was left in awe. Today I will review this book, for a little change of pace. Maybe I could this a bit more... Let me know!


Now, onto the book...

I was pleasantly surprised by this book.  I was hooked as soon as I laid eyes on the first few pages. I looked at it and thought, 'oh great, another teen romance book.' But no, it's far from that. Am I Normal Yet? depicts Evie's everyday struggles with mental health, specifically OCD. Evie strives for normality, jealous of the crowds of seemingly 'normal' people around her. She's escaped from what she knew as her life and is now navigating new territory at high school. Amber and Lottie become her inseparable mates and together they encounter relatively normal teenage problems; school, relationships, etc. But Evie has a secret hidden beneath her breaking set of armour that she is desperate not to tell anyone.

I fell so hard for Holly's writing style. You can almost hear Evie's voice in your head. Evie explained her struggle and I sat there nodding. It's written in a way that you can relate to, she talks like a teenager. Not too many fancy words or long chapters, making it an easy read! I personally also liked the book's style. Within chapters are small sections explaining Evie's backstories. It may make the book seem 'disjointed' or 'broken up' but I enjoyed it. It's something I haven't seen too often.


Honest, raw and real are other words I would use to describe this book. You feel deeply for Evie's struggle. OCD and mental health are tackled respectfully and accurately. Sure there are a few OCD cliches, like hand-washing and cleaning but, the funny thing is that Evie is annoyed that she displays those qualities. Yay for self-aware books! There are also many amazing messages hidden within this book like self-discovery, being 'normal', trust and of course, mental health.

Being someone who struggles with mental health I could really empathise with Evie. Although I haven't had any personal experience with OCD I sure know what anxiety feels like. I also learnt so much through reading this book as I'm sure you would too. It just goes to show that you never stop learning. I really respect Holly Bourne's efforts at destigmatizing and educating about mental health.

This book is so many things apart from a mental health story. It's also about friendship, family, navigating teen years and feminism. And the other great thing is, it's funny!

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Whether you or a friend has had personal experience with mental health, or you know nada about the subject, it doesn't matter. Read, have fun and be educated!

This is the first book in a series called The Spinster Club Series. Be sure to check out her website and twitter!

- Miller

Comments