Doin' it just because you want to


Have you ever felt an urge to do something, but suppressed it because you believed you couldn't?

For years, I've wanted to cut my hair short, but I've never had the guts. I thought more carefully about what others might think before I considered how it would make me feel. Then with an air of spontaneity, I decided; why wait.

Shia LeBeouf once said; "just do it". Although simple, these three words are quite profound. If you want to do something, just do it. Don't wait, because the only person it will be detrimental to is yourself.

I kept making excuses as to why I couldn't. "I'll wait until I'm better," I whispered to myself. I believed that just because I'm in a wheelchair, I couldn't. I'd look even more different than I already do and I didn't want to attract unwanted attention to myself. But then I thought, what good will it do for me to wait any longer? Why should I wait until I'm able and well again? I've been thinking about doing this long and hard for ages. I weighed up the pros and cons and decided, hey, what have I got to lose?

The thing is, life doesn't wait. Life isn't going to wait for you to feel comfortable or ready if you ever do. What's the point of denying yourself liberty or joy if you have the opportunity to do so? If you want to do something, you shouldn't have to justify yourself. If you want to do it, that's validation enough. I learnt that my wheelchair shouldn't prohibit me from doing what I desire. I like my hair. It's definitely different and will take a bit of getting used to, but it's what I want. So there.

Obviously, cutting my hair isn't as risky as other things someone may want to do. But, it was a change and change can cause discomfort. But I've found that the most rewarding and challenging experiences take place outside our comfort zones.

If I were to take anything away from this experience, it would be to follow through with your desires. Take educated risks, do what you want within the parameters of safety. Change is never comfortable, to begin with, but you are always stronger for it. By making a positive change that you want, you are being a more authentic version of yourself.

As a friend of mine once said; grab life by the balls and twist it into a balloon animal. Take any opportunities you receive, weigh up the risk versus reward and make a calculated decision.

So, if you want to do something, just do it.

- Miller

Comments