Turning over a new leaf


I have made an executive decision to enforce change, turning over a new leaf, so to speak. I've decided there are things in my life that need to change. Things that I've wanted to change for a while, but I haven't seen the urgent need to do. I've decided to redefine aspects of my life and I've decided it on my own. This is a step that I'm hoping will aid in the recovery of my physical and mental health. By taking control of some materialistic aspects of my life, such as device usage and eating habits, I feel as if I'm turning over a new leaf, so to speak.

So, why change? These days, everyone can plead guilty to spending excessive amounts of time on devices, including me. I've never believed in having the latest and greatest, but I've had an iPod for years which has suited me just fine. But, over the past couple of weeks, I've realised how truly pointless social media is, with the exception of Twitter for blogging. I know it can't be healthy to spend an hour or so mindlessly scrolling through my feeds, so I decided to delete my personal Instagram and Twitter altogether. I have downgraded to a pretty basic 8GB sorta phone. It does what I need it to do; call, text and play music. Those three things are all I need a phone for. Everything else can be accessed through my laptop, or not at all. I don't feel as if I'm missing out on 'news' provided by FaceBook or Twitter. If I really care about someone, I'll talk to them, face to face. I feel as if we've lost part of natural human connection due to the advent technology and I want to reestablish that connection. Now, we naturally resort to devices out of fear of looking stupid or lonely or feeling awkward. I've never been super addicted or dependent on technology, but I believe I could do with some change.

I've also decided to make changes to my diet. I'm beginning to snack less and eat more whole food. I'm also minimising my dairy and meat intake. For me, dairy has a negative effect on my sinuses, making them all blocked up and other grossness. Meat, just because I want to. Animals can be mistreated and have a caustic effect on the environment. Maybe the efforts of just one person won't go too far, but if we band together, change will occur. Nutrition accounts for a lot when it comes to improvement of health. If I feed my brain and body more whole foods, packed with minerals, it might assist my recovery from CRPS. Food is so underutilised as a health aid and can improve your wellbeing. If you do want to consider changing your diet, make sure it suits your requirements.

I also want to begin practising mindfulness more vigorously. This means every day or two. Several studies have shown that mindfulness has several health benefits including reduction in chronic pain, stress, anxiety and depression. After prolonged practice, it enables you to have a greater awareness of the present and understanding of you and your thoughts. Some resources on mindfulness here and here. Finally, journaling is a practice I want to increase. It helps me sift through my thoughts and can make me feel less clogged up internally. I've created an art-style journal, incorporating pictures into my thoughts.

These changes are called behavioural activations. These are things I can control in my life. By taking greater control over negativities in my life will, I hope, improve my physical and mental wellbeing holistically. I've been stuck in a bit of a mental and physical rut lately. After my most recent accident, I took several steps back physically, which also significantly influenced my mental health. I've had such little energy, but I still want to make a change.

Despite all this, there is nothing wrong with the way that anyone else is living their lives. This is just how I've chosen I want to live my life. How do you want to live your life? What has changed for you? You are the only one that can live your life. In the end, you're the only one that can enforce long-lasting change. It doesn't matter how big or small the change may be, change is change. If it's important to you, as Shia LeBeouf once said; just do it. You decide what you want your life to look like because you are your own most powerful force.

- Miller

Comments