Where 13 Reasons Why went wrong


13 Reasons Why recently hit Netflix and has exploded with controversy. I've spent lots of time mulling how I felt about it over and have formed some coherent thoughts to explain. I have considered arguments from both sides and can understand why some people like the show, but I personally am with those who disagree. Let me preface this by saying that anything I discuss is my opinion. It is not fact nor gospel, therefore you do not have to agree with me. This is a conversation, people! I'd love to hear your thoughts too.

For those unaware, 13 Reasons Why follows the main protagonist, Clay, as he deals with his friend's death, who died by suicide. This friend, Hannah, left 13 tapes behind, detailing what or who, rather, led her to suicide. Each reason is a person, all of whom get their very own tape explaining how they did her wrong. Technically and cinematically, this series was passable. Personally, I found the shots to be bland and saw nothing fresh film wise. But, that's not what I'm here to discuss.

Suicide and rape and extremely sensitive topics and there are certain measures that need to be taken to ensure they are covered in respectful and accurate ways. I believe 13 Reasons Why fails to do this.

13 Reasons Why glorifies and romanticises suicide. delving little into the deterioration of her mental health. The viewer does not learn of her thoughts during the events that led to her suicide or the difficulties of her headspace. Does she have a tendency to get depressed or have suicidal thoughts? We don't know, it wasn't discussed. We learn less about her and more about what the wake of her suicide left behind. Her suicide seems to be a means of vengeance or having the last word. The mental health of someone experiencing suicidal thoughts is so intricate and needs to be handled as such. It's not just circumstantial events that drive those to suicide, it's the thoughts intertwined with those experiences. This show grossly undermines the complexity of the third highest cause of death among American high school students.

Another problem I have with the show is that it encourages unhealthy blame on those who are not at fault. I don't recall hearing Hannah taking responsibility for her own mental health and actions. If someone dies by suicide, others are not to blame. There are people out there that have lost loved ones to suicide and may now believe they are, in part, responsible. They aren't. External factors may cause someone to feel depressed, but suicide occurs when someone's perception becomes so constricted that they believe everyone would be better off and there is no other option. In the show, Clay becomes so distraught because he believes Hannah's death is on his hands "We all killed Hannah," He said, taking responsibility for something that was not his fault.

Apart from basically every mental health organisation that states if someone dies by suicide, their method shouldn't be divulged, I also had an issue with the suicide scene in the final episode. This series is based on a book. In the book, Hannah overdoses on pills. In the series, the viewer witnesses her slitting her wrists in a bathtub. I gather that this scene was changed purely for sensationalism, which stuns me a little. Sure, this scene doesn't sugarcoat anything, but just because something is extremely graphic, does not make it accurate, respectful or educational. If the creators really needed to put a suicide scene in the show, they could have stuck to the book. This way, we wouldn't know what or how many pills she takes. I felt the scene was relatively unnecessary altogether. Mental health organisations say not to disclose someone's suicide method because it may give ideas to people who share a similar headspace. By graphically showing Hannah's suicide, I feel this show was disrespectful.

In this show, I got the impression Hannah was waiting on Clay to fix her, which is an unhealthy message to be pushing. "Maybe I was stupid to keep waiting," Hannah said, implying she was waiting for Clay to notice her suffering and fix her. This doesn't mean you shouldn't seek help from other. Help should always be sought from others, but generally, you have to be brave enough to make the first move. Others can help you, maybe put a band aid over your wound, but your body is the one who has to do the healing. You have to make the decision that you deserve better.

For some, the takeaway from this show was to be nice to people and watch what they say. If that's what you took away from the show, that's great, but is a TV show really needed for that? Kindness just seems like common sense to me. Lessons that aren't so common are the signs of deteriorating mental health and what people with mental illnesses actually go through as their headspace worsens. Everyone is struck by adversity in their lives. Wouldn't it be better to teach people how to deal with pain? People need to be taught that it's okay to reach out and you are not alone.

There is a difference between simply talking about something and educating. I believe this show simply talked about suicide. It didn't accurately portray many aspects of mental health, failing to educate many viewers. I commend the show for attempting to tackle such a delicate subject, but it was done in such a way that I personally find inaccurate.

I think this could have been a great show, but because of the way it was done, it doesn't get my tick of approval. But, let me know what you think. Do you agree with what I've said? Click this link for hotlines numbers to many places around the world if you are struggling at the moment. Please know that it's okay and you are not alone.

- Miller

Comments