Bitter goodbyes


Yesterday I was reminded of the affliction that farewells bring. Someone who I can surely now call a friend is moving away. Goodbyes are generally tough, I've said a few in my time, as I'm sure you have. But I felt inspired to write this after some feels I've had over the passing days. I promise I'll try not to get too cheesy.

Personally, I would define a goodbye as the parting of people, amicably or not. People leave, they enter new phases of their life and farewell with hugs and tears. They can have closure and somewhat certainty. But, some goodbyes can end in cyclones and leave ruin in their wake. Breakups, fallouts or the passing of a loved one don't always end with finality and answers. I'd say that these are harder to deal with than goodbyes where said word is spoken, where it just ends. Grief and loss are inevitable parts of life, in ways that we may not expect. But, knowing this doesn't generally make it any easier.

I think that sometimes we don't allow ourselves to fully feel the emotions certain that situations bring, at least that's how it works for me. Our minds become clouded by 'shoulds' or 'shouldn'ts'; I should be over this by now, I shouldn't be feeling like this. Sometimes we can't explain or control the connections we have or the feelings that sideline them. Allowing ourselves to feel is instrumental in the acceptance of partings we may face.

This person was very special to me and I'm sure always will be. They have been an instrumental part in my recovery to a normal, healthy life and I for sure know that I wouldn't be there without them. The air will shift in their absence, it will not be that same without them. Although I'm sad to see them go, I'm happy that they are entering a new chapter in their life. I'm sure many more adventures are to be written in this person's life.

Here's to you,

- Miller

P.S I also wanted to mention a farewell that came with no goodbyes. Today, Chester Bennington, the lead vocalist for the band Linkin Park, died by suicide. This band has had a special place in my heart for many years and I was deeply saddened by this news. This is a reminder that mental health and addiction are complex issues and need to be treated with delicacy and understanding. If you or anyone you know is struggling, PLEASE seek professional help. I cannot stress enough that you are loved and not alone. This darkness shall pass.

International Hotlines: http://www.yourlifecounts.org/need-help/crisis-lines 

Comments