Your tinted glasses of perception

Source
Earlier this year I posted a different version of this to another blog. After undergoing editing, I wanted to post it here because I believe in its message and it's a rather swell piece of writing.

You own a pair of glasses. They sit on the bridge of your nose, every minute of every day. These glasses are special; you can’t take them off or give them to anyone else, you probably can't even tell they're there. These are the tinted glasses that only you can view the world through, which is part of the reason why they’re so special. Everything you do or see, every thought or encounter you have slightly alters the tint to your glasses of perception.

I heard this metaphor a couple of years ago and I’ve held onto it tightly ever since. It simply describes how unique our perception of ourselves and the world are, yet I found it quite powerful. We all have unique perceptions as the result of our one-of-a-kind life experiences. These metaphorical glasses are the driving force behind our individuality, beliefs and opinions; they are the base of what makes us who we are. 

Everyone’s had experiences that’s made them go, ‘wow, I never thought of it like that’. A trip to a foreign land that opened your eyes to life’s diversity. Tribulations that turned your world upside down and forever altered your approach to life. Experience, whether it be good or bad, is the crux of what makes us who we are. Furthermore, it’s how we respond to those experiences that helps shape our personalities and values the most. I want you to think about an experience that changed you. What did you learn? How did that mould you into the person you are today?

My life-changing encounter began when my health started deteriorating, when hospital became home, when pain was all I knew. The reality of it was pushing myself to my limits every day while dealing with intense pain and fatigue. But, this hardship has forced me to question who I am and pushed me to do things I really didn't want to do. I was forced to extend myself past my comfort zone and gain insight into aspects of myself and the world around me that I otherwise wouldn't have known. I have seen parts of life in their harshest forms, vulnerable children suffering life-threatening illnesses and those that may never walk again. I can observe life in much more detail than before because I have learnt to appreciate the important things. I’ve learnt to appreciate more than one perspective because I have witnessed so much diversity.

One way I’ve learnt to harness my power of perception is through writing. I weave my words within my woes and create beauty from the ashes. I understand writing might not be for everyone, but there are other ways to capture your wisdom. Everyone has unique insights; you might not know it yet, but they are there.

Experience is the medium used to tint our glasses. Through experience, we are given insight into life and tools to add to our 'life-kit'.

We can’t see our glasses, but they help us see the world and ourselves too. Most of the time we’re our own harshest critics, sometimes for gain and sometimes to our detriment. Days, where we sigh at the sight of flaws and will them to disappear, are inevitable. Our glasses see Instagram feeds bombarded with picturesque shots of pretty and pristine. How can we not want a share of this perfection? But, we forget there’s no such thing as perfect in an imperfect world.

The perception we have of ourselves and life around us is constantly changing. I'm still learning and growing every day. Through experience, we discover different aspects of ourselves that may have otherwise been hidden. We evolve and become more complete people, adding facets to our repertoire of life skills, I guess you could say.

There are so many things that make you great; your talents, passions. But one thing that stands out and sets you apart from the crowd is the way you see the world. You are the only one that can view life with your set of glasses. Because of your perception, you have things to offer the world that no one else can. Learn to harness this wondrous power of yours. Sure, people can have similar experiences and opinions to you, but absolutely no one can have the perspective on life that you do.


Remember that, because it is something truly amazing.

Comments