tips for panicking


Miller, you've been away for ages and this is what you return with. Yes, my long-awaited return begins with a somewhat weighted subject, but mental health is important, no matter the length of one's internet hiatus. We are now nearing the end of Mental Health Awareness Week, so I thought using my passion for mental health I'd slip in a post regarding said topic.


I'd like to make it no secret that I have dealt with anxiety for many a years. If you feel comfortable sharing aspects of your story with the internet, I believe it's important to do so. Conversation and communication will lead to greater understanding and consequently less stigma in years to come. 

Anxiety has been prevalent in my noggin for several years. I had my first panic attack when I was 12, which took me by complete surprise. I didn't know if I was sick or dying. I'd left earth and all the oxygen surrounding me was not enough to fill my lungs. It was terrifying. 12-year-old Miller probably wishes she had some tips to deal with these events. Over the years, I have become more proficient at dealing with anxiety. Discovering strategies that work for you to help calm your anxiety is crucial. I certainly don't want anxiety to rule my mind. Anxiety can begin as a snowball, but result in an avalanche after gaining momentum, making it more challenging to control. Of course, this can be easier said than done. Implementing strategies into daily life can be harder than reading tips from the internet and I can totally appreciate that. What works for one person may not work for you. So, let me empty of my bag of wisdom for you to try whatever you fancy.

1) Remove yourself from the situation // Sometimes feeling panicky can be triggered by the environment you're in. I find that lots of loud noise surrounding me, like a busy night in a bar, can spark anxiety. In circumstances like this, it might be best to remove yourself from the situation. Maybe step outside or into the bathroom, whatever makes you most comfortable. 

2) Focus on a specific sound or visual // Maybe you can't remove yourself from the situation; listen and look around. When you're panicking you may experience dissociation from life, like you're moving through a drunken haze. Try focusing on one sound or visual, really study it. If you have to block your ears or eyes for greater focus, then do it. 

3) Tell a friend // If you're somewhere where noise is rampant you may be with a friend or two. If you're feeling panicky tell a friend. If you suffer from chronic panic attacks, talk to a trusted friend about it and discuss what to do if you ever were to find yourself in a situation where you needed support for a panic attack. If you're not with a friend, you could call them.

4) Write down your thoughts // Panic could settle in when you're at home. I find that scrawling the random thoughts that pop into my head can be helpful. The form in which your thoughts are expressed is irrelevant. You don't need fancy word play or perfect grammar, this is for your peace of mind. It can also be good to get your mind off your snowballing thoughts. Get in touch with how you're feeling. Take note of something that could have triggered you for future reference. Understanding how you operate is an invaluable tool when trying to combat anxiety. It lets you know who you are and what works for you.

5) Distraction // Lure your mind away from anxiety. Blast your favourite tunes, put on a funny video. Distraction has proved on of the most helpful techniques, personally. Sometimes it can be more effective to watch or listen to something familiar so you don't have to concentrate too hard when your brain isn't at full capacity. 

6) Meditation // This can't be done in all circumstances, as they do tend to hit in the weirdest places at inconvenient times, but if you can, indulge in a meditation. There are a plethora of short meditations for easing worry on YouTube. A great app with an infinity of meditations 7 Cups. 7 Cups is community based app where you can embark on a growth path to help you understand yourself and deal with difficult feelings. You can also connect with others who may be on a similar journey to you which may help you feel less alone. You can also chat with listeners whenever you want, if you need a virtual shoulder to lean on. Basically the whole app is entirely free, so I highly recommend you check it out. It's helped me and I'm sure it can help you too. Not spon, I promise. The more proficient you become at mindfulness, the easier it will be to implement in daily life, maybe even subconsciously.

7) Deep breathing to music // Find a slow tune with a constant rhythm that is familiar to you. Breathe in deeply and exhale fully to the steady rhythm of the song. Immerse yourself in the beat, lyrics and the sensations you feel when you breathe.

8) Positive affirmations // How we react to anxiety is important when we feel panic coming on. Remind yourself that this fear and uncomfortable episode will pass, as it has in the past. Find a mantra that works for you. Personally, I like the quote "this too shall pass". Also try practicing self-compassion. Treat yourself as you would a good friend, which often times can be easier said than done. We are often our own harshest critics, unable to realise our true value. Tell yourself that you are not a 'bad' person for experiencing a panic attack. You are experiencing emotion, just as every other human on Earth does.

9) Engage your senses // I find that engaging your senses, using smell, touch or sound can ground me. Having something to focus on can tether me to reality when I feel a wave of panic crash over me. This could be by playing with slime or something malleable, sniffing a scent you like or blasting groovy tunes. Whatever works for you.

I believe it's so important to converse about mental health, not just anxiety and depression, but every other one that's been experienced. Speak from experience, you have something to offer, whether you know it or not. Mental Health Awareness Week is coming to a close and I'd like to pass on some knowledge I've gained from my mental turmoil; self-care is SO important. Listening to yourself and how you feel is unparalleled to any external advice you'll receive. If you are feeling too lethargic to attend a party, then don't attend the party. If you feel like you need to talk to someone, talk. If you feel overloaded by the internet and need to take a step back, do it. You are no less valuable or valid for being honest with yourself, actually, you're strong and brave. It's okay to not be okay and struggling to ask for help is also okay, I know I did for a long time. I recommend scrolling through the tag Mental Health Awareness Week on Twitter, there are many inspiring stories and interesting reads. 

International Helplines

- Miller

Comments